As I consider some of the physics of the the third season of the new Lost in Space (yeah, I know, we can hear the asteroid collision!) , I wanted to note some interesting nods to the first series:
- Vijay playing a vintage beat-up acoustic guitar is a nod to the original series Will strumming “Green Sleeves” or “Sloop John B.”
- exploring derelict ship is nod to original series episode “Derelict.”
- exploring cave and finding alien writing is nod to various original series episodes, but in particular their first exploration into an underground relic alien settlement.
- a colonist introduces himself as “Teufeld,” a hidden reference to voice actor Dick Teufeld, the voice of the original robot.
- mining for titanium parallels various mining operations in the original, including quests for cobalt-magnesium, “deutronium,” etc.
- rock formations look a bit like Trona Pinnacles featured in 1st season of first series, though here they are on a green planet.